2020年4月28日星期二

week 13: reconsidering the superhero

This week I read The Killing Joke. The story is very short as a superhero story. There are many stories about Batman and Joker. We all know Batman will never kill Joker, they will keep running and chasing till the end of the world.

Answers for the questions
1. What is your reaction to the text you just read?

I think there is not much text in the comic. We only see the dialogues between the characters. Most of the story is told by the illustrations. But I really like how the way Joker speaks changed after his personality changed. He became calmer and more confident, but also more insane.

2. What connections did you make with the story? Discuss what elements of the story with which you were able to connect?

When the Joker talked about how a bad day can make a person insane, I think I feel connected to this part. I have read this story years ago when I was still a teenager. I couldn't be related to the characters at all. But now I feel more related to Joker. Because after I left my parents and lived alone, I had more bad days, sometimes I just want to ruin myself and destroy something. I think Joker's experience is a dramatic version of everyone's life.

3. What changes would you make to adapt this story into another medium? What medium would you choose; what changes would you make?

I think this story could be a good musical. Because it has a very intense climax and there are many characters' monologues. I think I will change the plots a little bit, maybe put the flashbacks late in the story.

4. In what ways does this story differ from the typical expectations the reader might have for a superhero story?

The Killing Joke is very different from other Batman stories. Batman stories usually have a very dark tone. But The Killing Joke has very bright colors. I think the bright colors show how intense the story goes. Also, the ending is very unusual. We never know who wins in the end.


没有评论:

发表评论

week 14: the future of comics

This week I was reading Perry Bible Fellowship Almanack. It is a very interesting comic. The comic uses short panels to create some tiny fun...